Healthy Snacks on the Home Front
Women are spending more time at home now, meaning most of us are cooking and/or eating at home. Everyone should have access to food security, and no one should starve. However, obesity and eating disorders still plague American Women. And this is influenced by what we choose to, or do not choose to eat. Whether you are trying to have better eating habits, or loose weight, it helps to start small. Below are a few healthy snack options and foods to try while you are quarantined at home.
A few good foods for women:
- Fatty Fish: Such as Salmon, mackerel and herring. They have a high omega-3 content and are filled with anti-inflammatory fatty acids. Try them to reduce your chance of getting heart disease by 33 percent!
- Dark Chocolate: Consuming this bittersweet treat will lower your chance of heart failure by 32 percent. Make sure to look for dark chocolate that contains at least 74 percent cocoa.
- Walnuts: Filled with phytosterols, eating two ounces of walnuts a day can help delay the development of breast cancer.
- Oatmeal: High in fiber, having some at breakfast decreases the chance of getting Diabetes Type 2 by 61 percent.
- Almond Butter: High in Vitamin E, Almond Butter can help prevent cognitive impairment.
Snack Ideas to try at Home
*Balanced snacks are a mix of proteins, fat, carbohydrates and fiber*
- Nuts and raisins
- Whole wheat pita with peanut butter
- Yogurt with high fiber cereal
- Carrots with hummus
- Cottage cheese with fruit
- String cheese and high fiber crackers
*To access these and more delicious healthy recipes go to: https://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/food-drinks/g92/10-healthiest-snacks-104257/